Wednesday, February 9, 2011

Hakkoryu grading

Good news, I got my 3rd degree black belt in Hakkoryu jujutsu last night. I think some of my contemporaries in Australia are wondering how I have been able to climb the ladder so quickly. I will take this opportunity to explain the grading system as it is quite different from most contemporary martial arts.

There are only four black belts grades, and no coloured belts or kyu grades in Hakkoryu. The only exception is the Soke sensei (grandmaster), who holds a fifth dan. After obtaining your fourth dan, it is possible to test for shihan (master) status. There are three levels of shihan, and all wear a purple, not black, belt. Purple is the colour of the emperor, and although the connections are not clear to me, Hakkoryu jujutsu and its counterpart Koho Shiatsu have connections to Japanese royalty.

Each grade has its own syllabus of approximately 20 techniques, and the grading system ensures that Hakkoryu practitioners learn these in the optimal order. Each technique represents a principle rather than just a single movement and therefore has infinite variations. Regardless of whether it takes weeks or years, once a student has `mastered` the entire syllabus and can demonstrate an ability to apply the principles within the technique they are ready to grade.

One shihan at the honbu (headquarters) obtained got his purple belt in half a year, but it usually takes several years, especially for students not training at the honbu. That shihan had a long history of training in Aikido, which fast-tracked his progress. I am hoping that my own martial art background will enable me to achieve the same goal within one year. This would give me at least a further six months of training in the shihan levels before returning to Australia. As mentioned below, important teachings are only revealed to shihan.

Students are taught a maximum of only three techniques in each lesson. Once they have practiced these techniques to a certain level of competency, they can learn the next three. While practicing each new technique it is important to review all other techniques learned before it and applying the newly learned principles to other techniques. As mentioned above the order of the syllabus is paramount and provides a great foundation. For example, shodan focuses on (amongst other things) posture, balance and datsuryoku (see blog Hakkoryu 3). Each grade has a theme. Students are not allowed to even view techniques above their grade, as it is considered essential that the student focuses on obtaining a strong foundation and it gives the instructors a chance to test the character of the student before revealing the hidden learnings. Each grade adds to what is learned before it in a highly structured and systematic layered approach.

All learning and practice is conducted one-on-one with a shihan. Each shihan will introduce different variations to the basic technique and will provide different levels of resistance. In any training session, you may train with up to four or five shihan, which can be confusing when each has a different approach, but allows great depth of learning.

The black belt grading tests are relatively easy. You need to demonstrate six perfectly executed techniques, three from a seated position and three standing. The grading itself might take just 15 minutes. You will not be allowed to grade if you are not ready, so most of the grading requirements are observed during regular training.

The shihan test is different. I am yet to experience it, but the grading is held over four or five days. Candidates live at the honbu with the Soke sensei and train several sessions per day learning the finer technical points and demonstrating their ability and character. It is also necessary to learn and commit to a strict set of rules, which I am currently translating into English. I will report more on the shihan test when I have first-hand knowledge.

The grading tests are not cheap. Black belt tests cost several hundred dollars, while shihan candidates will pay several thousand dollars. Successful candidates are then awarded the title of shihan, a makimono (scroll), certificates in English and Japanese permitting them to teach Hakkoryu and use the patented name, a montsuki kimono (Japanese formal dress), hakama (pleated split pants worn over a kimono or gi) and embroidered belt. Importantly, it is when you achieve shihan status that you are admitted to learn the hidden techniques, or secrets of Hakkoryu and are able to train directly with the Soke sensei.


Currently I am debating whether or not the investment into grading for shihan is financially viable, as the same money could set up a dojo or pay for my family to move back to Australia. I will keep you posted on this one, but I have fallen in love with Hakkoryu and am prepared to make sacrifices to learn the entire system.

13 comments:

  1. Congratulations! Sounds like an interesting style.

    Vote for set up a Dojo. (Assuming that your family likes Japan)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Just as a random thought...how 'unique' are the Hakko Ryu techniques? For a few thousand dollars could the secret techniques be some new manipulation of the human body that no-one else knows? Or maybe not so unique...
    If what is taught is not actually taught elsewhere another alternative would be to ask instructors who know lots of unique technique. A certain wise and handsome Canadian comes to mind as who I would ask first if I were you...you might also learn some "outside the box" applications too...
    Just a thought...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Many congratulations, and thank you for giving us an insight into a different, and uncommon art.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks Mike, more to come.
    Hi Adrian, thanks for your input. I am not sure as to how common the principles are outside of this art, but after a quarter of century of cross training I am constantly amazed at how much I am learning. This has had a huge impact upon my karate and other martial arts as well. I think I am overdue contacting that handsome Canadian/Australian to whom you refer.
    BTW, thanks for the dojo vote, but it will almost certainly be in SA, not Japan that I establish my club!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Congratulations Chris. It's a great accomplishment and a fascinating insight into a unique system.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks Joe, I am really rapt with all the support from you guys.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Chris,

    My associates in the US practice this form of ju-jutsu - well, it's the same name anyway. It was brought to the US by Dennis Palumbo who has written three books on the subject.

    Congrats on your 3rd Dan. It all looks quite exciting.

    Regards

    Gary Simpson
    Zanshin Kai Karate Do
    Perth

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Gary,

    Long time no see! I hope and your lovely wife are well? You are correct, Dennis Palumbo was a Hakkoryu shihan who trained at the Honbu in the late 80`s, I believe. How is your training?

    Regards
    Chris

    ReplyDelete
  9. Congratulations Sensei Chris ~
    I vote for saving the money towards a dojo or moving. My husband and I had the good fortune in training with Sensei Palumbo and acheiving rank during our tenture of training during the 80's, 90's 2000's. There is great value is teaching what you already know and to attain the level of Shihan is magical but cost prohibitive sometimes. There are also politital sensitivitie to consider.
    Keep up the great effort and passion.
    Sensei Suzan

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thank you for your input Sensei Suzan. Can I clarify, are you referring to Sensei Dennis Palumbo (Hakkoryu) or my own master Sensei Vince Palumbo from Australia?

    ReplyDelete
  11. Congratulations on your promotion!

    Hakkoryu's approach to internal martial arts training does appear to be unique relative to other Japanese arts with an internal / aiki component, and the internal Chinese arts.

    From my experience as a U.S. Hakkoryu student studying under an American Hakkoryu menkyo-kaiden shihan, I would say that the shihan training is worthwhile -- the key being to deeply focus on the highly internal aspects of the art that are imparted at that level (vs. assuming that the training is primarily simply deeper shades of metaphor). This should also kick your shiatsu into a higher gear, which will in turn enhance the quality of your internal martial arts skills.

    ReplyDelete
  12. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Congratulations Chris on obtaining this level of training; for I know all too well how difficult it was to attempt back in the late 80's when I was practicing. I was only about 6months into my training when Someone died & the style fractured into factions. The politics that followed not only slowed my training, but ultimately squeezed me out. Oh, how I have long since regretted not being able to make it work, but there were so few schools Stateside back then & all had a different alliegance. I have never lost my love for Hakkoryu & will consider myself lucky to have trained with so many good people 'til the day I die. Oh, & as I understood it Shihan Dennis Pulumbo was 1 of 3 to originally bring Hakkoryu to the States. Not that my opinion should matter to you, but hands down (because of my experience with fracturing) I wouldn't stop leveling until I at least got my first Shihan award/liscene. Either way, good luck, & may the 7th light guide you in all things.

    ReplyDelete