Saturday, January 15, 2011

Introduction - it all starts here!

I should have started blogging years ago. In fact, I wish I had started a journal of my martial art experiences 25 years ago, as I have a memory like a goldfish. As it happens, it is only at the encouragement of total strangers from a martial art forum that I am writing this blog now.
I have doubts. Do I have time? Does anyone care? Is my fairly mundane life interesting enough to find content to write about? I don’t know the answer to any of the questions above, but – here goes.

Please let me introduce myself. I am an Australian father and husband currently living in Japan. I harbour an incurable lifelong fascination with the martial arts. In particular I love Japanese (and Okinawan) martial arts. I love the aesthetics of a black belt on a white gi, the health and fitness benefits of training, the sore muscles/knuckles/bones after a great session, the life lessons that martial arts training can teach us if we are willing to listen. I hope explore why I love martial arts so much in future posts.

I have listed my grades in my `about me` introduction. Hopefully this list of my grades will give an idea to readers as to my martial art journey so far. It will also explain some of my ideas, biases, and direction. I can be quite opinionated, and I will not apologise for that, but I will state that I have no intention of offending anyone.

You will see that I am an avid cross-trainer. I strongly believe the benefits of cross-training outweigh the negatives.
My personal philosophies are to:
1.      Teach anyone, learn from everyone; and
2.      Eliminate my weaknesses, develop my strengths.
Cross-training is a great way for me to live by the above mottos, especially to eliminate my weaknesses.


Following is a timeline of my journey so far:
1985/1986: Started Shito-ryu karate as a primary school student with John Boswell.

Around 1992: After trying several clubs, I came across an amazing martial artist at a local competition. After winning the kata and open full contact karate events, he smashed a pile of concrete bricks on the second attempt after breaking his hand on the first attempt. I immediately started cross-training with Vince Palumbo at the International Combative Martial Art Academy in Arjukanpo (freestyle budo), Pangamot (Filipino combat jujutsu), kickboxing and occasionally escrima.

1993: I travelled to Japan on my 18th birthday to train in Karate. This experience has had a profound impact on my life ever since. In this year, I earned my first black belt, in Shito-ryu karate. I was also recognised as a black belt in Arjukanpo.

1994: Disillusioned with `traditional karate`, I quit training in Shito-ryu to focus on more sport combat related systems. I began regularly teaching classes in Arjukanpo/karate at the ICMA and briefly opened my own karate club at the Deborah Kaye Centre of Performing Arts in Salisbury, SA.

1999: I was awarded my 3rd dan in Arjukanpo. After the shocking passing of my training friend, Tony Donahue, who was taken by a shark, I re-evaluated my own mortality and reassessed my own direction in life. I moved to Japan to pursue my dream of training in the mecca of martial arts. I initially joined the Kyokushin Karate So-honbu in Ikebukuro, and they immediately started training me to compete in the East Japan Karate tournament. However, I quit this system and started training in BJJ/Shooto with MMA legend Yuki Nakai and Muay Thai at Oguni Gym, which was run by Kyoji Saito, but the trainers were from Chakuriki in Bangkok.

2004: I returned to Adelaide to complete university studies. I stopped off for my first stint training Muay Thai in Thailand on the way. After arriving in Adelaide, I worked as a self-defence instructor for Street Smart at educational institutions to support myself while studying. I continued to train/teach at the ICMA on an irregular basis and taught morning fitness based martial art classes at the WEA in Adelaide. I joined SABJJ for Brazilian Jiu jitsu classes several nights a week.

2005: I earned my black belt in Pangamot, awarded by Vince Palumbo and living martial arts legend Cacoy Canete.

2006: I joined Street Defensive Tactics and trained for two years in Krav Maga under Graham Kuerschner and Brazilian Jiu jitsu under Gustavo Toledo with Brazilian Top Team. This was probably the most enjoyable training I have ever had, due to the high calibre of martial artists and the friendly atmosphere at these clubs.

2007: I finally earned my blue belt in BJJ and 4th dan in Arjukanpo.

2008: I started training in judo under Michael Headland at the Adelaide University Judo Club. My love for Japanese martial arts once again won me over and I quit Krav Maga to focus on judo. Former world BJJ champion Leonardo Arruda arrived from Brazil and commenced teaching at the ICMA. I left BTT to train BJJ at the ICMA.

2009: A neck injury sustained in February while training in Shooto at Purebred in Japan complicated my training for the next 18 months. A doctor told me I would never grapple again. Wear and tear on my knees left my hobbling for months before acupuncture sorted it out – in the short term. During this time I discovered Koryu Uchinadi Kenpo Jutsu (KU), a martial art based on classical Okinawan training methods as well as more modern MMA training. KU is based on historical research and recreates Okinawan karate before its transition during the early 20th century. My interest in Karate was relit. I felt that I had completed my first circle, only to arrive at the place I had started.

2010: I returned to Japan in June. Currently I am teaching KU based Karate at the Australian Embassy during my lunch breaks on Mondays, Wednesdays and Fridays, training twice a week at Purebred in Shooto and BJJ, and training 3-4 times a week in Hakkoryu Jujutsu, an original and amazing system that I cannot give justice in a few sentences to. In the near future, my son turns 3 and I have promised him that he can start judo. I may have to take a break from Purebred in order to accompany my son to his training in Judo. Which is fine with me, I am one belt short of achieving my black belt in Judo.

So here we are. I hope to share much more with you soon.

Chris

No comments:

Post a Comment