Saturday, January 15, 2011

Okinawa



I just got home from fulfilling a life-long dream. Ever since I started karate as a primary school student, I have always wanted to train in Okinawa - dont ask me why I didn`t do this earlier...

First of all, a big great THANK YOU to Bryson Keenan for an introduction to the Jundokan, arguably Okinawa`s most famous and respected traditional karate dojo (Goju ryu) and also to Sensei Patrick McCarthy for loads of advice on getting the most out of my short stay.

I found the dojo finally thanks to the GPS system in my rental car and called to request the opportunity to train. The Kaicho`s wife asked me to call back later when the main man was available. I did so and was given permission to train.

When I arrived at 5pm the next day, the only other person present was a stocky black belt of around 50 years of age. I addressed him as sensei, but he corrected me saying he was a mere student. I think he was a 6th dan.

I changed into my judo gi as I did not have a karate gi in Japan (I bought one this morning at Shureido), feeling a bit silly and conspicuous being the only white fella in a white belt and a judo gi in the mecca of Goju ryu karate do. However, everyone was very welcoming and friendly, especially after name-dropping Bryson Keenan, who (along with fellow Australian Goju ryu instructor Michael Clarke) they have loads of respect for.

There were only a handful of people present, all black belts of course. I was introduced to Higa Sensei, an 8th dan master. He proceeded to take me through a warm up that left my knees the consistancy of jelly, got me working the hojo undo, including plenty of chiishi and those stone kettle bell things that I cannot remember the name of.

Following this, I worked on two person drills, such as kakie and muchimidi with the blackbelt I met upon arrival. He was very strong, but also seemed pleased with my level of power and technique. We had a fun, friendly rivalry happening.

Next I pounded the makiwara for approximately half an hour. My knuckles soon turned purple and were all squishy the next day, squeaking like squashed cotton wool. I have never done much of the makiwara before, tending to favour bags and pads, so I really felt that.

We then spent an hour or so going through kata, just Gekisai daiichi and daini. At 7pmish, Higa san handed the baton to Kinjo sensei, who continued to drill me in the above mentioned kata as well as further two person drills, a little more makiwara for another couple of hours. At around 9:30pm we finished up as the dojo had now emptied. I took a few photos as reminders and gave my thanks and asked how much I should pay for the privilege of more than 4 hours of private lessons with two 8th dans at the world`s most famous karate dojo. Nothing. FREE.

I left with the biggest smile on my face. I can
t say that I had a life changing experience, but I got more than I expected out of my time and have now ticked another box of things that I must do before visiting the old masters.

No comments:

Post a Comment